Painting from a live model & photo reference.
This Workshop is SOLD-OUT. Put your name on the Waitlist below or by calling the store 403.258.3500 or signup for NEWSLETTER to hear about the next one.
3-day Comprehensive Workshop
- October 20, 21, 22, 2017
- Time: 10am-4pm
- Demo: Saturday October 21, 6-8pm
$595 includes model fee & Saturday night demo
$25 Demo Available Here
This comprehensive three-day workshop is designed to share tips and techniques learned from over twenty-five years of painting.
Chantel’s gentle teaching style will enrich the painting skills of beginners and advanced artists alike as she demonstrates painting the portrait from reference photos, without losing the energy and vitality of working from life.
Chantel will also demonstrate painting the portrait from a model and share valuable insight into the differences between working from life versus photos.
Students will learn: essential acrylic/oil materials and how to use them; What photographs make the best references for portrait painting; Editing (what you leave out is just as important as what you keep in); Colour mixing tips; Techniques for working from a model. Students will also learn the importance of edges.
Students are encouraged to bring their own photographs for the reference photo portion of the workshop (Chantel will have some on hand if needed).
Art Instructor Bio - Chantel Barber
Chantel’s passion for art began flourishing at age 12 when she was mentored under local San Diego artists. She continued to study art, largely self-taught, while living in Newport, Rhode Island and Keflavik, Iceland. While enrolled in a college art course, a fellow student introduced her to acrylic paints, and she soon found it to be a medium dominated by abstract art. But her first love was portraiture for which she found little advice. As she dreamed of perfecting her skills as a portrait artist, Chantel continued to learn from professional oil painters and translated their teachings into acrylic techniques. All the while, she remained active in local art communities.
In 2006, Chantel opened her own art business called Chantel's Originals near Memphis Tennessee. Chantel soon benefited from workshops and demonstrations with outstanding artists including Dawn Whitelaw and Michael Shane Neil. Chantel is currently the Tennessee State Ambassador for the Portrait Society of America, and is also a member of The Chestnut Group, and the American Impressionist Society. She is past President of Artists' Link in Memphis, Tennessee.
Chantel has been featured in solo art shows and has participated in numerous group shows at premiere Memphis venues including the Dixon Gallery and Gardens. Her paintings are in private and public collections throughout the United States and overseas. Her work has been published in the Acrylic Artist and American Art Collector magazines. She currently teaches online and regional workshops on acrylic techniques throughout the year. Chantel resides in Bartlett, Tennessee.
- Chantel Barber - Artist Website
- Filbert natural white hog bristle brushes in sizes 2, 4, 6, 8,and 10 ( I recommend and use Silver Brush Grand Prix Superior Bristle Brushes & Robert Simmons Signet Brushes but other brushes will do as long as they have a stiffer feel. Also, it is not necessary to have all the sizes unless desired.)
- Masterson’s Sta-Wet palette system with sponge & paper is a must! - without this system the paint will dry quickly and be difficult to work with (red lid comes with sponge & paper in it, blue lid does not).
- Palette knife
- Painting towel - thick white cotton (for wiping brushes & controlling paint application)
- Container to hold water for painting
- Liquitex & Golden Heavy Body Acrylic Paints (other brands are acceptable) - Cadmium Yellow Light, Cadmium Orange, Ultramarine Blue, Alizarine Crimson, Titanium White and N8 Neutral Grey
- Three canvases or painting panels, all sizes under 16x20 are acceptable
- Freestanding or tabletop easel
- Paper towels - blue shop towels are recommended.
- Online Registration
- In store: 7160 Fisher Street S.E. Calgary, AB
- By Phone: (403) 258-3500
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org