5 days of painting outside - Oil, Acrylic or Pastel
This Workshop is SOLD-OUT. Put your name on the Waitlist below or by calling the store 403.258.3500 or signup for NEWSLETTER to hear about the next one.
5 days you will never forget.
- September 7 - 11, 2018
- 10am-4pm daily
This workshop will be five days of painting outside in the landscape, for painters of all levels, working in oils, pastels or acrylics. I work in all three of those mediums on location and in the studio, and am happy to see artists in my workshops with either of the three. Demos will typically be painted in oils.
Since we all come to painting with a lot of information and history of our own, it’s not possible for me to know each individual students’ experience and abilities at the start. I’ve designed my workshops so that it doesn’t matter if you’ve been painting for half of your life, or for half of the last month, each student will benefit from the exercises I’ve designed. They will help to strengthen your current abilities, and expose those skills that need strengthening. I work with each individual student at their own level, spend a lot of time with each student at their easel giving individual instruction. I demo everything that I ask you to do.
You’ll leave the workshop having spent five days studying the basic elements of painting... Drawing, Value, Color, Edges and Design... with one other element, possibly the most important one of all... Concept... being explored and discussed at length.
You may not go home with paintings that need framing, but you will go home with a portfolio full of valuable exercises that you can refer back to as you move forward in your own painting process.
All I ask is that you come with an inquisitive and open mind, and the Art Spirit within you.
Marc R. Hanson, O.P.A.M. (born 1955)
Having grown up in a military family, Marc’s youth was spent on the move. He was born in Oxnard, California and spent some of his early school years there. But his geographical resume soon included Alaska, Florida, Arkansas, Nebraska, South Dakota and Norway. After his father’s retirement from the Air Force, Marc’s family settled in the small northern California community of Loomis. Marc began college as a biology major, but soon applied to and was accepted into Art Center College of Design in Pasadena, California, majoring in illustration. After Art Center and a brief stint as a staff illustrator in Sacramento, California, Marc moved to Minnesota where he lived for 33 years while raising a family and pursuing his art. Marc relocated to Colorado in the Fall of 2012.
“I have pursued a career as a painter for many years now. Along the way my methods, materials and focus have evolved. A naturalist at heart, the landscape is the perfect vehicle for expressing the joy I have for the world that surrounds me. My real interest and challenge as a painter is how to best manipulate the core principles of painting into effective visual statements. I’m most successful when I’m able to communicate that joy to the viewers of my paintings.”
Marc teaches landscape painting workshops locally and nationally. “ I love working with other painters in their pursuit to better their craft. My goal is not to have them assimilate my style and technique, but to teach them how to more closely examine the subject and apply the principles that representational painters must follow to become effective visual communicators.” Marc has shown his work in galleries and museums nationally and internationally since the early 1980’s.
He is a Master Signature Member of The Oil Painters of America (O.P.A.M.), having won an Award of Excellence at the O.P.A. National Exhibit in 2000, 2007, 2009, 2010 and 2011. In 2011 Marc’s painting ‘Right or Left’ was awarded Bronze Medal for Painting at the OPA National Exhibition in Coeur d’Alene, ID. Among his many awards, he’s placed four times in The Pastel Journal’s ‘Pastel 100’ competition.
Other Recent Awards
- Door County Plein Air Festival - Honorable Mention 2011, Artist Choice and First Place 2012, First Place 2013, Third Place 2015
- Olmsted Plein Air Invitational, Atlanta, GA - ‘Cezanne Best Landscape’ Award 2017 ~ Olmsted Plein Air Invitational, Atlanta, GA - ‘Jurors Choice Award’ - 2017
- Olmsted Plein Air Invitational, Atlanta, GA - ‘Cezanne Best Landscape’ Award 2016
- Oil Painters of America - Master Signature Member Status (OPAM) 2016
- RMPAP ( Rocky Mountain Plein Air Painters) Paint the Park - First Place 2014, RMPAP Rocky Mountain NP Plein Air- Best Body of Work 2014, RMPAP Paint the Park - Best Body of Work and Award of Excellence 2015
- Olmsted Plein Air Invitational, Atlanta, GA - Francesca Kerpel Wenger ‘Best Sense of Place’ Award 2015 ~ PAAC ( Plein Air Artists Colorado) - Third Place 2015
- Plein Air Magazine - Feature and Cover 2013 ~ Southwest Art Magazine - Feature and Cover 2012
- Additional articles in the trade magazines where his art has been featured 2011- 2017 ~ Book - Oil Painting Secrets with the Masters (Auth. Cindy Salaski/Publisher Northlight Books) 2014
- Art Collector 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011
- The Artist’s Magazine 2005
- Plein Air Magazine Featured 2005, Feature and Cover 2013
- The Pastel Journal 2002, 2003, 2004, 2008, 2011
Marc Hanson Fine Art Website: https://marchansonart.com
- Online Registration
- In store: 7160 Fisher Street S.E. Calgary, AB
- By Phone: (403) 258-3500
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org